Sunday 18 September 2011

Dead Island Review: Let The Bodies Hit The Floor

Developer(s): Techland
Publisher(s): Deep Silver
Platforms(s): Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC
Release dates(s): September 6, 2011 (NA) September 9, 2011 (EU), October 20, 2011 (JP)
Genre(s): Open world, role-playing, first person, action-adventure
Mode(s): Single play, cooperative play














With Dead Island being the topic of discussion for gamers worldwide, I’ve been counting down the days to the release of this title. A game that received mixed reviews and opinions, I must admit doubt overcame my excitement. Taking all this information on board, I approached this game with an open mind. I’ll be discussing my experience with Dead Island, and its ‘paradise island’ Banoi.


Dead Island takes place on the island of Banoi. The protagonists wake up to discover the island has been attacked by zombies. They swiftly discover that they are the only people in the resort who are immune to the zombie outbreak. As they devise methods to escape, they also need to help survivors along the way, whilst attempting to understand the reasoning behind the outbreak.


The game is played from a first person perspective, which creates an intense atmosphere when a zombie suddenly lashes out and grabs you out of nowhere. It is also an open world experience, with an emphasis on exploration throughout the game. Dead Island also possesses role-playing elements such as the skill tree and levelling up system, which I’ll discuss in more detail shortly.


Dead Island is a very visually appealing game, I often found myself gazing at the ripples in the water or the picturesque mountains within the distance. This lovely bit of sight- seeing ends abruptly as my character falls victim to a vicious attack by passing zombies. The zombie design features a ‘layered limb system’ which displays detailed damage to specific body parts. If, whilst using your weaponry, they become damaged or broken, this is reflected while you are carrying it.













The lack of sound plays an important part throughout Dead Island. Whilst traversing through the island of Banoi, the slightest sound alerted me. I found myself constantly on edge when hearing something minute, such as a zombie breathing. I feel the sounds play a key part within this title.


Dead Island possesses a main storyline which can be played in one of four characters. These characters each have unique abilities which can enhance your experience throughout the game. The game offers the player a copious amount of side quests to battle through. The nature of these quests will differ as you make progress. Quests will also vary in difficulty which directly affects the quality of rewards you receive. Rewards include XP, money, weapons and modifications.


The main plot is divided into five acts, each with their own unique primary and side quests. The various acts will introduce the player to a range of ‘special’ zombies, each with devastating attacks. Whilst combating these powerful zombies, other zombies may also appear and attack you; this can be quite challenging and overwhelming. The enemies remain intelligent throughout the game. If you choose to flee, upon occasion, the zombies are still able to locate and follow you.














I mentioned the role-playing elements included earlier that I found to be extremely interesting in this title. Regardless of which character you select to fight this zombie onslaught, you are able to level up your character as you gain experience points. This is made possible using the skill tree system within Dead Island. It’s divided into three sub-sections which are fury, combat and survival. Fury is extremely useful for fending off hordes of zombies and the ability to inflict more damage for a short period of time. Combat allows you to develop your character’s specific skills and abilities with weapons. Survival allows your character to become stronger and more resilient when being attacked. What I found interesting is, as your character develops, so do the zombies. This is an excellent feature as it maintains a steady level of difficulty throughout the game.


With such a strong element of development and customisation throughout this game, it’s only natural that you also possess this ability with your weaponry. As you traverse the island of Banoi, you will stumble upon what seem to be pointless items. If you loot these items, it gives you the potential to customise your weapon in various ways. You are also able to repair and upgrade your weapons. There is a fee for performing these changes. Levels make another appearance as some weapons require you to be at a certain level before you can use them.


Something I was eager to experiment with was the differences between playing the game alone and with a companion. Although the events throughout the game are identical, the differences between single and cooperative play were quite prominent.


Whilst playing alone, the experience was one that I felt constantly on edge and was extremely eerie. I also felt that I was avoiding zombies much more frequently, especially if they were in groups. When combating groups of zombies, I often felt it was a struggle alone and unless you were extremely focused, you could easily be overpowered.














Whilst playing cooperatively, I found myself feeling slightly more relaxed. I found combating the copious amount of zombies with a companion was not at all arduous in comparison to the single player experience. I also feel that I would seek out zombies frequently as I had the reassurance of someone with me to provide assistance if it was needed. Overall, I would say this game is a much more enjoyable experience when playing with a friend. Unless you’re specifically seeking a challenge, I’d recommend zombie slaying alone!

With Dead Island being a sell out in many places, it’s evident that this game has caught the eyes of various types of gamers. With strong single and cooperative capabilities, Dead Island has delivered a unique title. I truly believe this is a must have for zombie fans everywhere, you will not be disappointed. I hope this information has been useful and possibly triggered your interest. If you are interested, what are you waiting for? Pick up Dead Island, get into zombie slaying mode and let the bodies hit the floor!

Many thanks for reading,

Hannah

sources:
http://deadisland.deepsilver.com/deadisland.php
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/objects/955/955540.html

No comments:

Post a Comment